Everyone in my house loves soup. I make a point to roast a chicken every week so I can use the carcass to make chicken stock. One of my husbands favorite soups is Italian Chicken and Tortellini soup. It is hardy enough to stand on its own without any additional sandwich or bread. This soup is also great to freeze if you make larger batches, just don't add the chicken and tortellini.
1 T olive oil
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 T dried basil
6 cups of chicken broth
2 medium zucchini, diced
1 carrot, diced
9oz mini cheese tortellini
1 1/2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
|Bell peppers, onions, garlic and basil.|
|Zucchini from the garden that I had froze...YUM!|
1. Heat oil in heavy saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and basil and saute until vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Add broth and cover pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add carrots and zucchini and simmer until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
5. Increase heat and bring soup to a boil.
6. Add ravioli and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add chicken and cook for 5 more minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.